01/19/2011 Leave a comment
Salmon is always a healthy and delicious option, but it’s not the first thing that comes to mind for breakfast… We usually get any cut we can get from our friends the Fishhuggers, Brenna and Kenny. Today we’d like to feature less common and less expensive part of this great fish… Salmon bellies, or “Salmon Bacon”; the extra fat content in the bellies makes these especially desirable for their healthy Omega-3 fats. This was perfect for two hungry Svendblad’s.
They are incredibly affordable – you can cook them up quickly for yourself and your cat as we do…and the whole family is happy and fabulous. :-)
Grab about 6 oz of Salmon belly and cut the little fins off and set them aside.
For this tasty breakfast you’ll need:
- 6 strips of Salmon belly
- 3 strips of bacon, use the grease to cook the veggies, chop the bacon into small pieces
- 1 small bunch of organic celery, washed and chopped
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, we used our mandolin and sliced it into the pan
- 1 – 2 Serano peppers optional, chopped or sliced
- 6 – 8 medium baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp Turmeric, fresh or spice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Heat a cast iron pan and golden the bacon, add veggies and spices and get them glossy, then add salmon bellies and cook for 5 minutes or less. Amazingly inexpensive, nutritious, tasty and incredibly fast to prepare and cook.
We hope that you love this as much as we do!
Jo and Henry