Watch out Paleo carbophobes, these treats are not for you. For those of you that need or want to replenish your exercise depleted glycogen stores with real food and without added sugar, you’ll love these nutrient dense and delicious Paleo treats. In addition to being great peri-workout options these treats are just the right amount of sweetness and fat for a post meal dessert or quick palette cleanser. Great for upcoming Holiday parties, or as a gift in a beautiful little box for friends or loved ones.
Take a look at these simple ingredients:
- 10 large dried figs, chopped (make sure that they are not too dry, chose the Turkish or emperor figs)
- 1/4 cup organic plump raisins
- 1/4 cup Barberries, our new favorite from Iran
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice, and a little bit of grated peel
- 1 tbsp raw local honey (always good to use local to fight those allergies)
- 1/4 cup Coconut flakes
In your food processor, add chopped figs, raisins, barberries, and chop away until you get a nice paste. Transfer paste into a large mixing bowl and add almond meal, coconut oil, lemon juice and honey. Mix together very well with a spatula until you have a nice thick evenly distributed paste.
Scoop out one teaspoon at a time and roll even little balls between your palms and then roll them in the coconut flakes. Set them to cool in your fridge for about 30 minutes and serve. I can’t wait to make these for my mom when she comes to visit. Enjoy!
- Transition Snack Recipes (rawlivingfoods.typepad.com)