Coconut Whipped Cream

We love our whipped cream in coffee, on berries for dessert, really on any of our primal desserts.  But it’s nice to have an alternative to dairy and for our Paleo friends.

Henry thought it would be good to have some cold coconut milk and stuck a can into the fridge for a couple of hours. When he opened it he noticed that it had gotten very thick on top, so he scooped it out and noticed that it had separated from the coconut water. So he added a little cinnamon and a little organic vanilla extract to the thick coconut and whipped it up. To our happy surprise it got thick and creamy immediately, and Oh Wow!!! sooooo good.

So since then we’ve been enjoying our morning cup of coffee with a spoon full.

So here are a couple of pictures for you – try it, it is so incredibly easy and completely gluten and dairy-free.

Step 1: Take a “full fat” can of Organic Coconut Milk and place it in the fridge for some time or best over night

Refrigerated Coconut Milk being scooped out by Henry

Step 2: Make sure that you scoop out all the thickened coconut cream, and that the water is left over. Don’t discard the water, use it to drink or in a shake.

Coconut Water

Step 3: After scooping it out, add a little cinnamon and vanilla, and whip it in a mixing bowl until it begins to thicken.

Step 4: Enjoy every bite, anyway you like! 🙂

Advertisements

490 Comments Add yours

1. Kristy A. says:

Wow! That looks great. Gotta try this! And looks like you whipped it by hand–so that is easy. Thanks for the great alternative to cream!

1. TrishWA says:

If you take a “full fat” can of coconut milk and let it sit in the fridge overnite, in the morning you will have thick stuff on top-add just a bit of cinnamon and vanilla and whip with your hand beater. I think this would be excellent on this

1. KSH says:

You don’t need to put it in the fridge. It is naturally this way, which is what the recipe is about. 🙂

2. Idontknow says:

Hey KSH, you must not have read the article above or you would see it’s from the fridge you idiot.

3. Gabriella says:

You don’t know there’s no need for insults.

4. totally agree Gabriella! Future insulting messages will not be approved by NK. Jo

5. kendra says:

Hi.. I tired this.. left the can overnight and it still came out nothing like whipped cream. It was really runny still..any tips?

6. Georgia says:

I tried this but it did not work. the coconut milk was still runny and never separated from the water.

7. Idontknow is just a troll, Ignore it.

Don’t shake the can before you put it in the fridge. In fact, let it sit undisturbed for a while before you chill it and you should have better results. Also be sure it’s full fat. A good brand to use is Thai Kitchen. (As in the photo above.)

8. Sam says:

There are two qualities of Coconut milk available in the grocery store. Shake the can– if u hear the liquid in the can, it is the lesser quality. The good stuff is silent and full fat. The THAI KiTCHEN brand is expensive and makes noise. The no-noise type is best, but be careful not to include any trapped liquid in ur whipped cream. “Fridging” it makes the whipping process better.

9. Richard says:

Keep in mind that it must have the fat in it. Most of the Coconut milk I have bought goes into the refrigerator and has never separated. It would be like buying regular milk at the store and expecting the cream to rise to the top..aint gonna happen! I am in China but this is the first time I have heard of whipped cream made out of coconut milk (just trying to buy regular dairy cream in China is a nightmare in logistics) and I have bought numerous containers of coconut milk here. Next time I will pay closer attention to product description and see if one has a higher fat content and also look for the Thai canned coconut milk.

2. Helen says:

Guess what’s going into my next coconut creme pie!

2. Adam D. says:

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I often use heavy cream but I find that my body doesn’t always agree with it. I guess that’s why we primal folks tend to stay away from dairy. This seems like it would be an awesome substitute.

1. Heather says:

i totally know what you mean… my body didn’t agree with cream either until i switched to raw cream, and milk for that matter. now i can have all the grass-fed raw dairy i want with no side effects and tons of amazing benefits to boot 🙂

1. Nice Heather! I am so happy for you, you will love this. jo

2. beckie says:

I made some into ice cream last month to put in our birthday cake. It was sooo good with raspberries

3. Karen Chatham says:

Same here Heather. I can drink the raw milk and cream with no problems at all. Glad to know I am not crazy!

4. Shirley says:

But where do you get raw grass fed dairy? I believe it is against the law to sell it in Miccigan.

2. Gabriella says:

I’ve asked this question before, but never got a reply : How much cholesterol is there in coconut whipped cream ? If anyone know, please reply :o)

1. Hi Gabriella, there is no cholesterol in this. 🙂 jo

2. looooon says:

Gabriella – only animal products have cholesterol.

3. fionacreates says:

I did not expect to see cholesterol listed on a can of coconut milk, but I just checked Thai Kitchen, and both “premium” and organic types list cholesterol as 5 mg per 60 mL!
        I happened to have a can of Native Forest organic, and that lists cholesterol as 0 mg, the same with my coconut oil. So what is Thai kitchen doing to their coconut milk??

I do know for certain that coconut fat is high in saturated fats, which may raise bad cholesterol (LDL) in your blood. At the same time it may raise good cholesterol (HDL). If high cholesterol is a concern do your research, ask a professional, and in the meantime, use sparingly!

4. Visiting says:

There actually is cholestrol in Coconuts and Avocado. It is the healthy fats your body needs to have though.

3. 4ourking says:

Adam, I use Coconut milk or almond milk for nearly everything that I cook..I even use it in my cereal. We rarely use dairy except cheese which is a familial weakness. Ha! But I have NOT YET tried this. I can’t wait!

1. Suzette says:

For those of you worried about cholesterol, cholesterol does not make cholesterol. In fact, coconut milk and coconut oil contain a component (lauric acid) which is helpful in lowering cholesterol. Cholesterol starts in the liver, so those of you with high cholesterol should do what you can to get your liver healthy so it can work properly (a liver detox, for example). My MIL had very high cholesterol. She began taking an herbal supplement (Choleslo) rather than the Lipitor her doctor wanted to put her on (her doctor told her the Choleslo wasn’t going to work) and after 8 weeks on it, her cholesterol was down to 199 with her LDL going down and her HDL going up! The nurse at her doctor’s office was amazed and asked her what she was taking. Oh, and her Hepatitis B disappeared…..how’s that for liver repair!! 🙂

3. Dave says:

Great tip – our household is mostly gluten-free these days. Mom & son 100%, Dad and daughter about 85%. So far so good. And Spinato’s has a sweet GF crust for those craving days…

1. Hi Dave, awesome to see you on our site and thank you for commenting. I am so happy that you are going gluten-free. 🙂 Looking forward to many fun exchanges. Best! Jo

1. Cg. says:

hey jo, I have been doing this to coconut milk for while now an what people don’t listen to is its a whole lot better then heavy cream or milk even though regular milk is better for kid then the the 2% 3% stuff is garbage and not at all good because they get no benefits from it if people learn to eat healthier there mite be a better way to make others learn to going back to how we use to do things an less pollutions to processing food and chemicals and just maybe they will learn that healthier is always better

4. Mary says:

Thank you for such a wonderful idea!!! I had given up all dairy except for the little half and half in my morning coffee because i had not found an alternative I liked. Well thanks to you now I have!!! Thanks for all the wonderful blog posts! I am fairly new to this eating lifestyle and have really been inspired by your blog.

Mary

1. Thank you, Mary. This is so wonderful. Congratulations on your decision to eat healthier. Best! Jo & Henry

2. Jill Edwards says:

Hazelnut is my current favorite in coffee, but who can complain about having coconut whipped cream in their coffee?

3. sarah says:

if you have a local health food store or trader joe’s maybe? there is a GREAT coconut milk creamer in different flavors that I love. Made with coconut milk…no dairy or soy. The brand is So-Delicious …or see if your local walmart can get it by talking to the right manager. I’m currently working w/mine. since they carry the brand in coconut milk and almond milk in the fridge section. Almond milk doesn’t work in coffee but a little coconut milk does. I also like those syrups….from sam’s they have pure can sugar in them and no dyes listed. My favorite is the carmel. I whip mine with one of those hand blend little battery operated foamers? can’t remember what you call em.

1. Nancy says:

Love it I use it every morning, very yummy! I like French Vanilla they also offer Hazelnut!

2. Juliette says:

I don’t use that brand because there are so many other ingredients. When you get the right coconut milk you can get only coconut.

3. PF says:

Do some research on the ingrediant in So Deliocious products and most coconut and almond milks, its called carageenan. Seems to be a very unhealthy ingrediant

4. Kay says:

I have been using the So Delicious Coconut Creamer for my coffee in the past year since I went gluten and dairy free – but just discovered that the Xanthan/Guar gums can also be problematic for gluten intolerance folks. So now I might make my own with the pure coconut milk!

5. Amber says:

PF – Carrageenan is kelp. Definitely not an unhealthy ingredient. It’s in tons of stuff and is used as a thickener. It’s in ice cream, toothpaste, make-up… if it’s thick, it probably has carrageenan in it.

6. Gabriells says:

Very interesting ! I’m going to check my local Walmart tomorrow .Thanks for sharing :0)

4. Diane says:

We use 1tsp. blue agave nectar in our coffee & then mix in Silk soy creamers (Hazelnut & vanilla). My husband has to guard his coffee at work because co-workers come by & drink it!

5. Kathleen Elizabeth Robinson says:

what r u using in your coffee now? coconut cream?

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes usually – but sometime we use grass fed butter.

5. megpie says:

does this work with low fat coconut milk? the thai kitchen full fat cans have some guar gum in the ingredients, which i can’t have… the only coconut milk that i have found with no preservatives, additives, or stabilizers is trader joe’s low fat coconut milk. i have some in the fridge now, will see if whipping does anything.

1. Hi Megpie, Low-fat only means that it’s watered down coconut milk, minus in TJ’s case the guear gum. So it should work for you, but it will only yield a small amount versus 1/2 the can. Please let me know how it turns out – we’re curious. Thank you for commenting. Jo

1. Merida says:

I tried it with low fat and it was in the fridge for 3 days and did not thicken or separate.

2. Hi, yes you “must” use full fat. NK

3. Adrienne says:

I only had 17% fat coconut milk and it worked for me. I just added a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar, the vanilla, and whipped it with the whisk attachment in a cold metal bowl. It took longer than I thought it would but it worked great 😀

4. Bing Vanags says:

The best coconut milk brand I always use for baking and cooking is “Chaokoh” It is a product of Thailand which you can only purchase from the Asian Market.

2. Lala says:

The fat in coconut milk is from medium chain fatty acids. They are the good ones. Don’t worry its not like yucky, unhealthy hydrogenated oils.

1. Gabriella says:

I was wondering if this whipped coconut delight has any cholesterol. I really love it , it’s a total treat whipping the cream and drinking the coconut water!!!!!!

3. I used lite coconut milk. It was in my refrigerator for about 3 days. There wasn’t as much solid coconut milk fat as I would have liked, but it whipped just fine. Next time I will try it with the regular coconut milk.

1. You must use full fat.

6. Karl says:

I tried the coconut whipped cream and loved it…so did my kids! They were screaming for more.

Thanks.

1. hsvendblad says:

Karl – I was reading your blog just this morning and noticed the link back to our site and meant to send you a note of thanks. So, thank you very much for the link love and I look forward to reading your blog and sharing more recipes. I’m planning on trying your salmon salad this week. It looks great!

7. Christy says:

Yipeee!!!! I make whipped cream all the time to top cakes and hated that all I could find was ultra pasteurized. Now I can make something even my child with milk allergies can enjoy! I am putting a can in the fridge right now.

8. Kristy A. says:

Just tried this for the first time last night and it was out of this world! I used to make a ricotta cream canoli filling and this comes really close to matching the same richness and flavor, especially the cinnamon bite. I am sold! Great recipe! I can’t wait to share it with others!

1. Hey Kristy! Thank you so much. It is really our favorite now. We use it for many things as well. Do you have a paleo/primal canoli recipe? Have a very Happy 4th of July. Best! J

1. Niamh Juhl says:

You can make ‘canoli’ shells using 1/4 cup young coconut meat, and 1/4 cup coconut water – blend in a blender, then dehydrate until firm (not crunchy) – it takes about 6 – 12 hours at 105 – 120 degree setting. Just spoon the mix onto a ‘fruit leather’ sheet and form into circles about 1/8 inch thick. Really I guess these are simply coconut leather circles – but I think would work amazingly with this cream!

9. Kristy A. says:

No, I haven’t experimented making canoli yet, but perhaps someday! Thanks again for the delicious recipe!

10. Lmk says:

I made this using the same brand of coconut milk as pictured, and it came out great!
    I tried it on fresh raspberries, and it’s wonderful. It has the same texture as real whipped cream
    with a slightly coconutty taste, which didn’t bother me at all. I’m going to try this on my coffee, and also
    on a cream pie made with coconut milk.

11. Nichole says:

This looks fantastic! Thanks for the tip!

12. nicole says:

This is great idea! I’m going to make it this weekend!

13. I tried this yesterday and OH MY!! Soooo good!! I posted about it on my site. Come on over and check it out! http://coastalcavegirl.com/2011/06/29/solution-coffee-creamer/

14. i’ll be sharing your link to this recipe, because i know i have a ton of friends with kids who would love a good 4 u recipe. <3<3

1. Thank you Sophia, you ROCK! It is one of our favorites. Jo and Henry

15. Sophia Aiken says:

I will be psoting this recipe, because i have a lot of friends who have kids. this is a good 4 u recipe!

16. I have a slightly different recipe but loved it plain too! Mine went with crepes, nom!

1. Have you tried making your crepes with coconut flour and raw milk? We love good European butter too.

17. JCM1953 says:

You can buy canned unsweetened coconut cream at Asian groceries (Savoy is a good brand), and you can dispense with the separation. Thai Kitchen is, however, more widely available in retail groceries, and I buy it when I can’t go across town to our Asian grocery. The coconut cream there is also a little less expensive than Thai Kitchen’s coconut milk.

18. Do you think this would this work for cupcakes? And if so, would it “melt” in the sun? I’m trying to find a light cupcake icing and this sounds divine! But I don’t want it to melt in warm temperatures…what do you think?

1. Hi, I think that coconut whipped cream would melt in the sun. How long will they be exposed? We are thinking that coconut cream concentrate also known as coconut butter may work as well. Depending on the types of cupcakes that you are making, Ube might work as well. Check out our Ube recipe in the Dessert section. Jo

1. Thanks for your reply! I wonder if I just keep them in the AC if they’d be alright…though I should probably not risk it. It just sounds so yummy!!!

2. Mmmm, if you try it please let me know, would love to give it a shot. Maybe you can be brave and try it with one. 🙂

2. sarah says:

maybe take your can of cold coconut milk w/you and the other ingredients..vanilla/cinnamon with the cupcakes and just before you serve them whip up the cream?

19. Can you use this in a whipped cream maker like this one http://www.amazon.com/iSi-Gourmet-Whipped-Cream-Stainless/dp/B00007JXQW? We have one and my roommate is vegan and she really wants to try this?

1. Serge says:

Yes you can. We do this all the time. But in this case we mix in the water so that it isn’t as thick. Then it comes out just like the store bought stuff. Only better!

20. This has seriously rocked our world. With raspberries Holy crap the perfect way to squelch our Ice-cream habit. Thinking of doing a version with a little amaretto. Thanks!

1. 🙂 there you go, now the creative juices are flowing. how was it? it is the best isn’t it?

21. Wow this looks too good to be really, I happened to have some dairy, gluten and processed sugar free people coming over this week so this may be a lifesaver! Want so serve it with some cake (work in progress) but think this also would be so good with meranges *ahh can’t spell! sorry*
    Yay!

22. George says:

Doesn’t seem to work with water taken fresh from a coconut… no separation occurs.

1. Water taken from a coconut has ZERO fat. You can make this from a coconut but it requires using the “meat” and none of the water. Here is a link with instructions: http://www.coconut-connections.com/coconut_milk.htm

23. Angie Felton says:

I tried this but I used a store brand coconut milk, full fat and when I opened it after 24 hours in the fridge it was creamy…. it did not scoop out at all like yours did however it was still really good. It made a nice change for an afternoon cup of coffee. I will have to try it again with the suggested brand and see if i get the same results as you.

1. Many of the store bought brands have additives that cause the milk to remain homogenized. The fewer additives the better all around.

2. LeeAnn says:

mine was creamy also…and i used pictured coconut milk….hmmmmm

24. Meg says:

We’ve been making coconut icecream here for a while as my son and husband are both highly lactose intolerant. I have missed whipped cream! This will be awesome!

1. Sherri says:

Meg,
      I am also lactose intolerant & can’t have gluten or wheat. Would love to know how you make your ice cream!

25. theflirate says:

Just tried this recipe, it tasted fantastic with my first-ever Paleo brownies! Thank you for posting it! 🙂

26. great blog! I have posted your recipe/blog on my foodie page…hopefully you’ll check it out:)

27. Kristi Riley says:

How long will this last in the fridge? I’m the only one who would use it in my household and I’m curious how long a can would last. Thanks!!!

1. How long this lasts really depends on the quality of the coconut milk you use and the type of container you store it in. We typically use an Aroy-D 100% brand that has NO preservatives or additives of any kind. We also make sure it is in a sealed container and we can usually keep this for a few days (2-3). If you use a brand that has some preservatives you may be able to keep this for a week or longer… I hope this helps!

28. I can’t wait to try this as I LOVE coconut… I think this would be a delish topping on my pina colada!!! Thanks for sharing!

1. thank you Christy! 🙂 it really is great on just about anything.

29. Kara says:

Thinks sounds really yummy and I was going to try this for my daughters first birthday cake, so you think it is thick enough to be on a cake? Maybe the top only?

1. Yes, it should be thick enough for a cake. Let us know how it works out!

30. nicole says:

I recently found this recipe on Pinterest and am absolutely in love. I tried buying a cheaper can of non-organic first and was shocked that it didn’t work. But it’s so worth the extra $1. Thank you!!!

31. laura says:

I made this the other day with another brand of Coconut milk (Goya) and it did not work at all, the creamy part and the water didn’t separate, so it was very runny. I bought Thai Kitchen brand and tried it again, what a difference! it is so thick, I added about 3 Tbsp powdered sugar and maybe a tsp of vanilla and whipped it up. Yummy!

1. Thanks for the feedback Laura. Some producers use lots of additives to homogenize the coconut milk. The better the quality and fewer additives the more success you will have.

32. This looks amazing! I am trying this tomorrow! Thanks for the tip! ❤

33. Jeannine says:

I have tried making this using the same EXACT can of coconut and both times it was in liquid form, not solid at all! I refrigerated the second attempt for two days and still not a solid. Any suggestions??

1. Jeannine- it’s possible that Thai Kitchen has added ingredients to make their milk more homogenized and hard/impossible to seperate. My suggestion is to try another brand, for example Aroy-D. We stopped using Thai Kitchen Organic because it contained additives that we did not want. let us know if you find another brand that works?

34. Blah says:

What if we don’t want to use the leftover coconut water for anything?

1. vtkuhlone1 says:

Use coconut mill to cook your rice with red kidney beans, thyme and scallions. Yum Yum!!

35. amy says:

: I want to put this on cupcakes can I put it in frige to firm some and pipe it on a cupcake using an icing bag? If so would they be able to sit on a display table for an hour or so or would it melt? Thanks can’t wait to try and the weather is cool here

36. MK says:

Melt down some chocolate chips, mix them in and you have chocolate mousse!

1. dawn1995 says:

We call it ganache in our house 🙂 http://onedeliciousrecipeaday.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/best-ganachemoose-ever/ This is my daughter’s recipe. Amazing with ghiradelli double chocolate chips. I used it to fill strawberries-http://serendipitoussecrets.wordpress.com/ Divine!

37. Amy Renea says:

BRILLIANT! So trying this!

38. Kathy says:

Just in time for the holidays! Always excited about new paleo options! Using my paleo pumpkin muffin recipe to make a cake/bars and this will be awesome on top!

1. do share your cake/bars 🙂

39. Yum! Gonna try this as part of a yummy dessert for my son! (He has multiple food allergies.) I normally take 2 Enjoy Life brand cookies and put a little bit of So Delicious chocolate ice cream in the middle, but this sounds like it would be just as good, with less sugar!! Thanks so much for sharing!

40. debbie says:

never tried coconut milk but I want to try this.. dairy products dont always agree with us either.

41. Brandy says:

Divine! Life changing, I think. Best cup of coffee I’ve ever had I made with this today. Thanks so much for making by birthday breakfast amazing! 🙂

42. Samantha says:

My son is allergic to dairy, what a wonderful alternative and found it just in time for the holidays.

43. I made this and I love it! I’ve had it in my coffee for the past 3 days, great recipe. I will be featuring it on my blog minusthesugar.blogspot.com

44. Courtney says:

I tried it with the same exact kind, but it just stays runny and doesn’t separate 😦 so bummed

45. Jennifer Thomas says:

Thank you!!! My 11yr old can’t have dairy and whipped cream seams to be the only alternative I can’t find. I’ll try this tonight!

46. tracie says:

Awesome idea! Be sure to use Gluten Free vanilla to keep it entirely gluten free.

47. Wish I had read the reviews BEFORE trying this. I also used the brand pictured, and it did not fully separate. I whipped it anyway, and it is tasty, but a bit runny. I’m going to ttry again with a different brand. I actually thought my fridge might be the problem! lol

48. Vanessa Bett says:

Mine turned out a bit runny as well, but I think it helps to freeze the mixing bowl before mixing. It is pretty tasty though!

49. Amanda L says:

I bet this would make some awesome coconut ice cream! I was going to try and make some with coconut milk, but using the fattier stuff would likely make it more like normal ice cream texture. How sweet is it? I was thinking maybe sweeten with a bit of honey or does it need it?

50. SamCyn says:

Found you through Pinterest…can’t wait to give this a try, thanks for sharing!

1. Thanks – most peeps love this one!

51. Joy says:

This sounds so good! Will have to try it. A thought – it looks like you had to use a can opener to remove the lid, right? Why not turn the can over when you put it in the fridge. That way, when you turn it over to open, the liquid would be on top & easier to pour off. The rest would be just the cream. Thanks for sharing!!!
    xoxo
    Joy

1. Hey Joy, thanks for the tip! Happy Holidays!!

52. I use the coconut milk (water) for rice to cook in gives a wonderful flavor to the rice….

1. oh that’s cool Susan, thanks!

53. Noble Doodle says:

Wonder if it would be good in my “ready whip” can- you know the canister you add heavy cream to then pop in one of those fancy bullet shaped cartridges- pull the trigger and you have whipped cream gun thingies? or in my frother?

Thanks for the idea and happy eating

1. Haven’t tried it, but do tell if it works.

2. Ani says:

This looks amazing!! My 9 year old dahetugr can’t eat dairy (diagnosed just 3 months ago). We have her grandma’s b-day party on Sunday, and I wanted to put this over ice cream. Does it have the consistency of a caramel sauce used in a sundae?By the way, we live in Michigan, too! We’re in Berkley, and are big fans of Maple Creek Farm.Happy New Year!Robin

54. Tatiana says:

Could it work as frosting, say for cupcakes or would it melt? Thanks!

1. Hi Tatiana, a previous reader had posted in this forum that she used it as frosting for cupcakes, but it does melt, so you’d have to keep it out of the sun. We have also used it for frosting and it is delish.

55. becks says:

my friend gave me the link to this and i am so excited about it! I’m very dairy intolerent and really miss the cream thing so i have a can in the fridge right now. Cant wait to put it into some home made gluten free brandy snaps. Thanks

1. Haven’t had brandy snaps yet, but they sound awesome. Do share 🙂

56. Found this on Pinterest – you’re surprised aren’t you? 🙂 My husband is lactose intolerant and I’m still getting used to cooking dairy free for him. I wanted to make sure he had something to eat at family gatherings for Christmas so I made tiramisu brownies (http://www.grouprecipes.com/29658/tiramisu-brownies.html) and substituted this cream and soy milk. It was a huge hit with everyone. I did have some problems with milk separating. Out of eight cans, only two worked. But I didn’t use organic (couldn’t find it). I just read someone’s suggestion about the coconut cream so I think I’ll try that next.

1. Oh that is so cool Amy, thank you for commenting. The cream matters a whole lot, and we have had wonderful peeps post back on their success and misses on this one. Thank you for sharing your tiramisu brownies, we’ll have to give them a try. Happy New Year! jo

57. Rowena says:

Thanks for sharing this! My youngest can’t have dairy or soy, but is ok with coconut milk. I’m so glad there’s an alternative for him for whipped cream!!!!

58. Kelly says:

Saw this on Pinterest, tried it, and love it. Thank you!

59. DeborahC. says:

this is a great idea. I am tring to eat healthier.. and I love whipped cream in chocolate
    have been trying to find better ways to eat. will definitly try this out

60. elanbuendia says:

Howdy! This is a FAB idea!!! 🙂

I wanted to make it to top a Satsuma Mandarin GF Yellow cake…

I put the can into the fridge overnight (used same organic brand that you have photographed 🙂
    When I opened the can, It was still just a white liquid through out. Weird! *shrug*

Do you think they are any trouble-shooting issues I should consider!? 🙂

61. glutenvygirl says:

This looks amsolutely amazing!

62. Ann says:

LOVE IT! We use a ton of Coconut milk products in our house because my daughter has a metabolic disorder. this is one more treat I can give to her without having to worry about the extra protein from regular whipped cream. Thank you sooooo much for sharing this.

63. Val says:

does the can have to be opened or unopened when refrigerated? thanks!

1. Hi Val, it doesn’t matter, we keep ours closed. Enjoy your Sunday!

1. don’t give up, though, keep trying; it’s that good. 🙂

64. Kristin W. says:

Just made this today to go on top of a Apple Carrot Breakfast cake….my kids loved it!

65. E says:

I refrigerated then used the Thai organic and added cinnamon and vanilla, whipped came out fantastic. Will this keep in the fridge and be thick tomorrow as well or will I need to rewhip? I’m sending it in for my son’s “snow” for his groundhog day snack and want to make sure when his teacher open it up it’s still thick.

1. That’s awesome. So happy that your kids love it too. It should keep. 😉

66. lizz says:

Did you use a wisk to whip it or an electric mixer. I’d like to do this in my vitamix, do you think that would work?

1. Hi Lizz, we use a hand wisk. I have not tried it with an electric, let me know how it works if you try it. jo

67. I tried this out and loved it (though I added too much vanilla). I hope you don’t mind that I will be sharing your post on my community site http://www.kamloopsparents.com

1. Hi Elizabeth, please do share, I love your site, and will pass it on as well. 🙂 Thank you. jo

68. Heather says:

How long would this last in the fridge? This would be GREAT in my morning Kona coffee… 🙂

1. it will keep just fine for you, until you gobble it all up. 🙂

69. Alba Castro says:

Thanks for sharing this alternative, now my boy’s going to trait whit everything!!! (the are allergic to dairies)

70. Okay, maybe a stupid question: I’ve had this bookmarked for a long time but have always wondered about something. How come you can’t use the coconut water to drink or in a shake? What are you supposed to do with it then?

I was just re-reading this again today (for probably the 100th time, I like to look at things and dream about eating them, and then never do it, lol) and it finally occured to me that it might be a grammatical error? Is it supposed to say, “don’t throw it away; use it….” ?? Or is it supposed to be a list of things you aren’t supposed to do with the coconut water, like it’s written? That’s how i have been reading it this whole time and it never made sense to me, but I have never used any coconut products so I just figured the water would make you sick or something. ??? Could you clarify?

I’m sorry if that’s SUPER stupid. (blush)

1. Hi there and thanks for bookmarking our site. 🙂 Don’t discard (throw away) the water, you can drink it or put it in your shakes. There are not stupid questions ever. I am so happy to have you visit and comment. Give it a try and tell me how it comes out. Jo of Nutty Kitchen.

71. Erin says:

Piece of heaven: Banana crepes (easy: 2 eggs + 1 banana) topped with cinnamon vanilla coconut whipped cream and chopped strawberries. Yum!

72. I tried it this morning. I refrigerated the coconut milk overnight. I tried to get all the thick part out, leaving only the water. Unfortunately, a good bit of it was still milky. It was hard to get all the solids out without some of the liquids. I still mixed it with the cinnamon and vanilla. It still tasted good, but it didn’t get as thick as I would like, to get that “whipped” texture. It was more of a thick cream, or melted whipped cream more than anything for me. I am storing the rest of the “milk” to see if any more hardens, or becomes more solid. It just didn’t separate very well for me. It was still delicious.

1. Henry Svendblad says:

Jennifer – Sorry to hear that your coconut cream did not whip up the way it should. We’ve run into similar issues depending on the type of product we use. The best results are had with Coconut Milk that has NO additives and is 100% coconut. Unfortunately, the ingredients that are added to some Coconut Milk will cause the milk to stay homogenized or partially so. The brand we use most and recommend is Aroy-D 100% Coconut, you can find it online if you don’t find it locally.

1. Thanks for the tip. I did put what I made in a storage container and put in the fridge. After a while it actually solidified. It is like a really thick whipped cream.

73. enchantedhue says:

I had coconut whipped cream at Veggie Galaxy in Cambridge just yesterday and was wondering how they made it – now I know, thanks!

74. Kim says:

THATS AN AWESOME IDEA. I’m so excited about this. THANK YOU for discovering and posting.

75. My coconut didn’t whip. It stayed the consistency of icing. Really thick. What did I do wrong? Should I have added a little of the water?

1. Meggan – We’ve never experienced that problem… What brand of coconut milk did you use and did it contain any additional ingredients?

76. Juanita says:

Thank u for the great idea! I am going to have to try this. I have a dairy and soy allergy , and can not find a coffee whitener without dairy and soy.

77. Ilena Ayala says:

Doesn’t work with Vitarroz brand coconut milk. I’ve had it in the fridge for ten hours, and it’s cold but very liquid. Ingredients list are coconut extract, water, potassium metabisulfate as a preservative. I’ll get my hands on the Thai Kitchen brand later and have another go at it. A friend tried it and said it was awesome.

1. good luck Ilena! 🙂

78. Traci says:

Geisha isn’t a working option either. I’ll definitely pay the extra dollar for the featured brand! 🙂

79. Suzanne says:

Only use full ft coconut milk. If it’s in the can, make sure the can is BPA free. Thai Kitchen, as pictured is organic but it doesn’t come in a BPA free can but Native Forest brand does. If you don’t know, call the company and ask. So Delicious coconut milk has so many other additives in it that aren’t good for us. I’d avoid it. I buy my coconut milk from http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com. It comes in asceptic paper containers and is delicious.

80. Juanita says:

Thank you soo much for this idea!
    As I am allergic to dairy and soy. I bought can yesturday, left in the fridge overnight. Whipped it up. And it’s perfect!!

81. Jamie says:

Reblogged this on MJ's Pantry.

82. Jamie says:

Tried and loved it! I thought that the coconut flavor would be stronger but it wasn’t. I liked that it didn’t over power but complimented what I was eating it with. Great job! By the way I am new to your blog and am really liking it!

1. thanks for visiting Jaime, looking forward your posts. J

2. AprilRain says:

instead of vanilla, put coconut extract in to make it stronger?

83. Bobbi says:

Just want to get your permission to post on Pinterst. Thanks.

1. Hello Bobbi, please do and thank you for your support and visiting. jo n henry

84. LindsayODonnell says:

Love it!

85. Heather says:

I had the same thing happen to me…I’ve been trying to go Vegan but had not found a replacement to dairy for my coffee, read an article about coconut oil and thought coconut would be a nice touch in the coffee and maybe replace the dairy, opened the can (same type pictured here) to find it had separated, dumped the whole can (including the water) into a bowl and used my hand blender to remix…it turned out fluffy and creamy and is a perfect addition to my morning coffee. Never thought of adding cinnamon, will do that with the next can. 🙂

86. Heidi Kaneff says:

This is so awesome! Giving up dairy has been a nightmare, I love it! Been buying coconut milk for a year now and had no idea! Thank you! Can’t wait to have strawberry shortcake!!!!

87. vanesssaoneill says:

That Is so cool, I will give it a go. Thanks

1. Let me know how it goes. Good luck1 🙂

88. Stephanie says:

Adding Cream of Tartar to a runnier mix will help “thicken” it, but Cream of Tartar is not gluten free. Guar-Guar is gluten free (I think) and I’ve tried the Rooster Brand with some success — it’s a bit runnier than this, but I don’t think it was in the fridge long enough — I’ll be leaving the can in the fridge overnight to see if it works better! (I really want to make a nice chocolate mousse for my 3 y/o and I — we are both Dairy and sometimes Gluten-free).

1. Kyle Roper says:

Cream of tartar is most certainly gluten free. It’s an acid in powder form produced as a by-product of wine making. Wine is also gluten-free. Also, baking soda + cream of tartar = baking powder.

89. auntjayne says:

Reblogged this on Allerjay and commented:
    Who knew you could make whipped cream out of coconut milk!

90. Sarah says:

I tried this recipe this morning but it came out watery. I left the can in the fridge for days and when I opened it it was still watery. I whipped it up and it was thin. Guess I did something wrong. But it sure was good drizzled over my waffles this morning! I’m not a coffee drinker but it was good with food!

91. Angela says:

Just tried it using Thai Kitchen brand, worked perfectly….wow!! I needed this in my life. Working on a mango pie and this might be the perfect touch. Thanks!

1. yumm Mango pie, if the recipe is Paleo, please do share. 🙂

92. chris says:

Wish i would have never tried this. Im officially hooked and wanting this all the time 🙂 fabulous non dairy whipped cream. I missed whipped cream so much until now. I even used the cream as a butter on top of my g free pancake and i even put it in the freezer. Im going to try this as a frosting too. I put a tiny bit of honey in there. Wow. I have it out of my system now (thankfully) and will file this recipe away now. I do this. I go a little nutty at first.

Thanks again.

1. Chris, nutty is good at the Nutty Kitchen! Thanks for your fun post, it happens in the beginning, we too could not get enough. We are managing it now. 🙂

93. lisa says:

This would make an awesome fruit dip.

1. oh and it does. 🙂

94. Martha says:

I tried this and mine didn’t thicken. I left it over night. Had this happened to you? I purchased the same one pictured. Not sure what could have gone wrong. Any suggestions?

95. Jeimy Moon says:

I just try this recipe and all I can say its AWSOME !!!

96. Sheens says:

How long after does it last? An is it like coconut oil, I had the oil an as Winnie the pooh would say there was a rumblly in my tummy lol

1. hi, a few days, but in our house not very long at all 🙂 …and it’s not like the Winnie issue at all, you are safe to invite friends. Jo

97. I used the full fat coconut milk and put in the fridge overnight, mine was still very liquid? How come yours is more solid?

98. mike says:

Look this up on line

99. purplefdu says:

I’ve had this pinned for some time and finally got around to purchasing some cocnut milk to try it with. I bought another brand (at Walmart) as it was half the price and didn’t have guar gum in it. Upon opening it to put into the fridge (thinking if it thickened I could skip scraping of the lid by removing it) it was already thickened. Whipped with some vanilla and a dash of stevia powder.

100. fionacreates says:

this worked beautifully with the Thai Kitchen brand organic coconut milk. i added nothing, and it whipped up beautifully into a wonderful, thick and refreshing garnish to my gluten-free vegan lemon cupcakes with fresh strawberries. taste of summer!

i couldn’t find Thai Kitchen the next time i went shopping so i bought another organic brand that had guar gum in the ingredients (does Thai Kitchen?) and it was completely different. when i opened the can, the liquid was on top, and while TK gave me about 1/2 can of thick stuff, this other brand was almost 3/4 of a can under the liquid. i tried whipping it, and it did NOT thicken up. i left it sitting a few minutes and it got runnier. (i confess i added a bit of the liquid back in, because i thought it seemed thicker than TK, but i’m sure it didn’t make that much difference.) SO… be warned! you have to get the right kind of coconut milk for this to work!

101. Vicky says:

Absolutely love that this is vegan. I’m definitely trying this tomorrow!!!

102. Jessica says:

I absolutely LOVED this! I added vanilla, cinnamon, agave, and cocoa powder and it was just like chocolate mousse. I’ll be making this again! YUM!

103. Anna says:

You could just buy a can of coconut cream and not waste the unused coconut milk; get more whipped cream for your money!

104. Angela says:

By the way, I’ve been using Thai Kitchen for awhile and that has always worked. But recently I switched to Badia which has actually had more cream in it and it’s $1 cheaper.

105. Katy says:

Maybe this is a dumbish question, but I have a jar of Organic coconut oil from Spectrum Naturals, and I am wondering if this is the same stuff that I would be scooping out of my chilled can of coconut milk? Will using this stuff work, too?

1. Hi Katy! No, Coconut Oil will NOT work for whipping. You have to use the canned milk or canned cream.

106. Annmarie says:

I tried it tonight and if you have the Magic Bullet do it in that, it came out cream like not as stiff as whipped cream but just fine and good!

107. chantalschutz says:

Reblogged this on 99-Day Challenge!!! and commented:
    This is awesome!!!

108. Thanks so much! I will be making this for my son… and maybe using in some homemade ice cream. I have a 5 year old with EE disease who is allergic to dairy and soy and buying ready made alternatives is way pricey! He will absolutely LOVE this whipped cream! Heading to the store for this today.

1. Hope he loves it!

109. Carolyn Willie says:

Mine had a icky after taste didn’t taste good at all

110. Pierre M-M says:

What a great idea!!!!

Another trick that my wife and I found was to leave the tin of coconut cream upside down in the fridge for a couple of days.

Then take it out, turn it over, pop the top and simply pour out the water and then spoon out the cream which will now be at the bottom.

111. Jessica says:

Sent my husband to the store to get the coconut milk and forgot to specify organic. He came home with two brands: A Taste of Thai and Geisha something or other. The can by A Taste of Thai said “no preservatives” on it and worked perfectly, but the Geisha brand didn’t work at all. It stayed creamy and didn’t separate. Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to try it! It is DEFINITELY yummy!

112. Kristen K says:

Tried it with a different brand and it did not work 😦 But made an amazing recipe from it instead. I poured it over my morning oatmeal, add bananas and pecans and it was a yummy tropical breakfast.

113. daryleverett says:

The reason it separates and is that thick is the guar gum. Fresh coconut milk from the coconut is think and sort of separates but it’s the gum that does the trick here. Maybe those who mentioned not being able to have it could use full-fat c. milk sans guar gum and add some xanthan?

114. NichOle says:

I was thinking of using this as a frosting for my one year olds birthday cake. Is it thick enough to pipe with an icing bag and tip? Does the change in temperature make it liquify?
    Thanks!

1. Yes the warmer it gets Nichole the more it liquifies. So far some folks on this string have used it as icing – you may want to check to see what worked best for them. Good luck! JO

115. Spooky Bill says:

I saw LouAna coconut oil at the store. Is it the same as what you get off the top of the can of coconut milk?

116. Spooky Bill says:

I found LouAna coconut oil at the store, is that the same thing that separates in the can of milk? If so, it could be a cheaper alternative to buying a bunch of cans.

1. We have not tried it. Let me know if it works Spooky Bill.

2. I’m fairly sure it is different. The coconut oil is like shortening and will be liquid above about 75 degrees F.

117. sofia says:

All I can say is thank you, thank you for sharing. We just found out my three year old is allergic to dairy and gluten so we have been trying to find alternatives to food she already loves. And she’s going to be extremely excited about this!!

118. Janey Gaertig says:

I have some Trader Joe’s organic coconut oil that seems to be thick, more like a butter. Can that be used for this?

1. Hi Janey, it will not work. You’ll need the cream from the milk for it.

119. Jessica says:

I have Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream. Will this work?

1. Francina Martinez Valencia says:

I tried it and it didn’t work for me with the Trader Joe’s. I don’t know if I did something wrong, I followed instructions, but it never whipped up. Just got curdled looking.

1. Gabriella says:

The more expensive coconut milk doesn’t work any better than the others. Thai Kitchen which I think is pricey, did not whip very well, was kind of creamy. I had better luck with less pricey brand I found at Shoprite. It’s a shame coconut cream cannot be whipped, I assumed it would be better for whipping.

120. carolew says:

I was fairly excited about this and thought it might be an alternative for my family until I did some research. Although coconut milk is considered by some (those who want people to believe in the health benefits of it) to be made up of mostly medium chain fatty acids (I believe I even saw that mentioned in this post), in reality, it contains a lot of saturated fat. Although it’s a good alternative for those needing to avoid dairy or soy, it’s not a good alternative for those needing to watch their cholesterol and fat intake. Coconut milk has some added benefits (more vitamin D and calcium than cows milk depending on the brand), but if using the full fat version, you need to use it sparingly, just as with any other high fat food. Moderation is always the key.

121. Jessica says:

I just made this today except I added some Powdered Sugar and some Doterra Wild Orange Essential Oil and put it on dairy/soy/egg free chocolate cupcakes. So good 🙂

122. Reblogged this on Natural_Beauty and commented:
    Can anyone say YUM!

123. emma says:

Hi just seen this and looks totally yummy but was wondering once made into cream how long does it last please x

1. Hello, a couple of days. It really tastes best freshly whipped.

124. lea says:

I tried it this weekend and my coconut milk never became solid. It had been in the fridge for a week due to bad timing. How anyone had this happen before? I would love to make this but problem with milk.

125. Gabriella says:

I have used La Cena Leche de Coco, and it worked just great. I found it at Shoprite Supermarket for a $1.50 each can .

1. Gabriella says:

I have bought more coconut milk, this time it’s Goya. I hope I wont have any surprises. BTW I don’t worry how long it will last, with me this whipped wonder does not last very long :o)

1. Barbara G says:

I don’t think it will last long for me either. I’ll try to find some of the Goya, but just one to make sure it works for ME!

126. Shelly Stroud says:

i used to always buy the Thai brand because it would separate.. however, now they have added Guar Gum and it will not separate… i have tried every kind they have now.. Do you know of a brand that is still just Coconut not added stuff..??? I miss the Coconut Cream!!!!! :o)

127. Gabriella says:

I have tried Goya coconut milk and it didn’t work well. So I will go back to using La Cena , it works great ( it’s a product of Thailand ) The other ( Goya ) can be used for cooking, but not whipping. :o)

128. Elizabeth says:

Is this the same as coconut manna?

1. Hi, no it is different. Mana is also a delicious item in our kitchen, but it will not whip; you will need to go with the coconut milk for that one.

129. Patti Patti says:

I tried to make this last night using Whole Foods 365 brand. The kids and I mixed it for 10 minutes and while it got thicker it never completely whipped.

1. Adrienne says:

I wonder if it worked for me because of the powdered sugar? I still chilled the coconut milk and I whipped it in a mixing bowl that had been in the freezer.

130. elissakerpen says:

I love this idea!! thanks a million. it might go really well with my Smooth Paleo Chocolate – check it out at http://thewholefoodtruth.wordpress.com/

131. elissakerpen says:

Reblogged this on thewholefoodtruth and commented:
    A great subsitute for ice cream! great on berries

132. Sharon says:

Wow, must try this for my dairy free son…thanks!

133. I used pure coconut milk for this as well and it did not turn out. i used it cold and in a cold bowl, and it was soupy. I made it to go over key lime bars. It didn’t solidify, so I just poured the milk over the bars. It was tasty but liquid. 🙂

134. Paulette says:

Could I use this like sour cream in spinach dip if I add a bit of lemon juice????

1. hmm interesting. I have not yet tried that; let me know if it works. j

135. fantasha says:

I will definitely be trying this, thanks 🙂

136. I don’t know why I didn’t ask this before : why not use coconut cream instead of coconut milk ( to use for whipped cream )

1. It will not work.

1. Uhmmm strange……..I bought a can of cream of coconut to try it. Thay Kitchen was ok but the whipped cream wasn’t very stiff….

137. Francina Martinez Valencia says:

Ok, I followed the instructions exactly and I went from having cold hard coconut “butter” to a curdled looking mess that did not even come close to whipping and started to look watery around the curdles. Where did I go wrong?

138. Penny says:

Looks great! Can you use an electric beater to quicken the process such as a magic bullet? Or must it be hand whipped? Also, how long will it last for in the fridge?

1. Yes, you can use an electric beater, but I wanted to show it’s not necessary…

139. Kristen says:

Do u know how many calories is in the coconut whipped cream? Thanks

1. Kristen, Lots of calories… 🙂 Because the cream is mostly fat 1Tbsp will yield approximately 50 kcals.

140. Linda Denzer says:

Just a thought… And please wait to boo me off the page until I mention this. I don’t know how the healthfood nuts feel about cream of tarter but it works great in regular homemade cream, wouldn’t it do the same thing here to keep it stiff a little longer? just wondered if anyone had tried that…

1. Have not tried Cream of Tartar, I am sure it would help stiffen… But I would prefer not to use any additives if possible. Give it a try and let us know.

1. Elly says:

Cream of tartar is a by-produc of wine making. It is not a chemical.

141. Pingback: Vegan Crepes
  142. melissa says:

I was wondering how you stored this. I am interested in making for my low fat cappuccinos. But wondering how I should store the stuff that’s left over.

1. Hello Melissa, you can store this in any container that has a good airtight lid. We use a glass rubbermaid with a red lid. Enjoy it.

143. Hi there, I would like to subscribe for this weblog to
    take most recent updates, thus where can i do it please help.

144. oznettie83 says:

Hi! I found this on Pinterest and can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!!

145. Gabriella says:

Since I started making this whipped cream, I’ve had bad luck with choosing the right brand of coconut milk.I have tried so many brands. Not sure which is the best at this point. Frustrating !!!

1. Have you tried the one we are depicting? Others have tried several different brands and it has worked, make sure to use full fat. Good luck!!

146. Debbie says:

Thanks for posting – love this coconut milk whipped “cream” – it’s perfect with bananas and a little chocolate and makes for a delicious strawberry shortcake! Gave up on pasterized and homogenized milk years ago – then a local farm started selling it’s raw cow and goat milk – they now sell cheeses, creams, half ‘n half, eggs, – all organic and we now have NO allegeries or problems with dairy!

147. This is so smart, I am sooo trying this out!

148. Geraldine says:

Hi.
    We are about to go winter camping & this will be amazing in “Eton Mess”, which is supposed to be strawberries, meringues & whipped cream. So any fruit, meringue crushed, chocolate chip & rather than real cream, your coconut cream! Can’t wait to try it, it’s my daughters signature dish (she’s 9!)
    Thanks 🙂

149. lenalina says:

Reblogged this on lenalina.

150. Pingback: Annato seeds
  151. I bought coconut milk before I read the full recipe, and I bought the lite stuff. In case anyone is wondering, beating lite coconut milk, even after it has been in the fridge, just results in coconut milk with lots of bubbles.

I can’t wait to buy the right stuff and try again!

1. annie says:

Hey where can you buy canned coconut milk? I can’t seem to be able to find it.

1. Any health food store including major grocery chains. NK

152. EddieBee42 says:

I have a can in the fridge now. I’ve been Paleo (30 day challenge to start) and I hate tea and black coffee! Looking forward to trying this! I’ll let you know!

1. Hi -but if you substitute almond or other milk, please ensure that you read the label carefully, so not to buy stuff with tons of preservatives, and chemical additives. There are some great natural almond milk choices out there, or you could make your own. For the record we do not advocate Veganism. NK

153. Sherry in Union, KY says:

I refrigerated my full-fat organic coconut milk over night, but it did not thicken up and the milk and water did not separate. Therefore, I whipped everything that was in the can. It did thicken, but not to the consistency in the picture. Also, I added a packet of power Stevia to sweeten it up a bit. I will work on the thickness again. Thanks so much for the idea!

1. gabriella says:

If it doesn’t whip right away it will never whip. Only my opinion :o)

154. Jen says:

What is the carb content for this coconut milk?

155. Tatiana says:

I love coconut whip! It’s so much healthier than anything else! In fact, I used it for my 1 yr old’s birthday cake because I didn’t want him eating the typical frosting loaded with yucky stuff. I made it so it would not melt 🙂

1. Gabriella says:

What did you add so it wouldn’t melt ???

156. Midge says:

After leaving the can in the fridge overnight, flip the can over, open it and POUR OUT the liquid. Wallah, you have the thick, delicious cream left in the can to be scooped out. And, yes, do NOT shake the can before putting in the fridge, if you think it has been shaken, leave it a coupla days. It is good. 🙂

157. Barbara says:

I’m just wondering if there was a green coloring put in it, or is that just the way the picture turned out. It looks green to me…maybe another nice feature that could be done.

1. Hi Barbara,

Nothing green added, it may be the lighting. NK

158. Loretta says:

I’m so excited to find this recipe! Can’t wait to try it! I’m wondering if you have tried it as a replacement for the canned milk in pumpkin pie? Hubby loves pie season, and I would love to find an alternative to canned milk!

159. skepear says:

Thank you, holidays saved!

160. Priya says:

I can’t wait to make this for Thanksgiving, I think it will be delicious on top of Pumpkin Pie! Anyone know if I can make it ahead of time? Will it “deflate” if I do? Thanks!

161. Pingback: Pure Magic.
  162. Midge says:

It’s so much easier to open the bottom and pour out the liquid.

163. Thanks for sharing that. Can’t wait to try it.

164. Тhis excellent website truly has ɑll the informɑtion I wanted about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

165. Michelle says:

Thanks so much for the idea! I had some success with it in the mixer, but recently received a whipped cream dispenser, which helps create a bit more thickness. Thank you!

166. Cara says:

This sounds really good, but I thought you aren’t supposed to put cans in the fridge…..

1. Once a can is open is should not be refrigerated due to chemical reactions that are possible between the tin and bacteria. Unopened cans are OK in the fridge.

1. Barbara G says:

So then if you transfer it to another container, will it still do the same thing? I’m thinking it will, but just double checking.

167. yahoo search says:

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox
    and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

1. Hi – I think that this is an issue on your end. Nothing pops up that would indicate you receiving 3 emails. NK

168. Buster says:

Hello! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!

169. lafeinyis says:

Has anyone tried using this on cupcakes? I have a friend who needs birthday cupcakes that are gluten, dairy, and egg free. Do you think this would work to pipe on to them at all?

1. Yes, some of our readers have used it for topping, but as true cream, it does not hold like frosting, so if you serve them immediately and not in the heat outside, you should be fine. Not sure about piping, most have spooned it on. Hope that this helps. NK

170. Jeanne says:

Thanks for this recipe! Life changer! It’s a much easier, healthier, and such a delicious way to frost cakes, cupcakes, muffins, and top waffles with. I used this recipe to top my Pineapple Walnut Cupcake Muffins. I spooned it on and smoothed it with a knife. Pics if you want to see: http://limesarebetterthanlemons.tumblr.com/post/85242852887/pineapple-walnut-cupcake-muffins-with-coconut-cream

171. Zanada says:

Used this recipe at a church gathering with mini-cupcakes (no refined sugars)! and again with a raw grated apples and berries with granola crisp. What a big hit each time! Folks glopped as much on whatever they wanted. Old folks, young whipper snappers, everybody! !

172. susanna says:

oh my word this is good me and my baby love it

173. Chantal says:

I made this tonight (on GF strawberry shortcake) with the brand pictured and it was runny…. Good, but runny. I want to find a better can of milk to try it with. My 1yo cant do dairy and we all LOVE coconut so I was so happy to find (and repin) this! Thank you!!

1. Gabriella skirvin says:

Recently I  bought  some Cena brand coconut milk  that  was  all solid (  not  half  water  and  half  fat ) I  was  really  surprised cause  I  had  used  that  brand  before.So  I  don’t know  what it  is, maybe  this  was  freshly canned and  sent  to supermarkets,  who  knows..

1. samsonn says:

The really good stuff is solid when u shake the can. The more noise means there is more coconut water than coconut solids.

2. Susan says:

Temperature makes all of the difference on the solidity of coconut milk. If it’s cold there will be almost no water. If it’s room temperature there will be about 1/2 water.

174. Darlene says:

turn the can upside down just before opening. Also great for icing, melt a bag of choc chips and the thick coconut milk and whip away…its awesome

175. Susan says:

I put the bowl and beaters in the freezer before whipping — even with the water it whips up thick and creamy. When I make ice cream I use the whipped coconut milk. The ice cream is light and you get double for every can.

176. Hi! I realize this is somewhat off-topic however I had to ask.
    Does operating a well-established blog such as yours
    require a massive amount work? I’m completely new to running
    a blog but I do write in my journal every day. I’d like to start
    a blog so I can easily share my personal experience and
    thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand
    new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

1. It’s not that bad, but it does take dedication. 🙂

177. Pingback: My Archive
  178. This site definitely has all the info I wanted about this subject and
    didn’t know who to ask.

179. Claire says:

Hi 🙂 sorry, not really relevant, non dairy is fantastic!! Just wanted to say its not just for Paleo. We and the planet would be a lot better off if we didnt consume animal products.

180. 0815-clan.de says:

My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was entirely right.

This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much
    time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

181. What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely useful
    and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & assist different
    customers like its aided me. Good job.

182. Click here says:

Yes! Finally someone writes about raspberry ketones benefits.

183. Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite
    justification appeared to be on the web the simplest thing
    to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while
    people think about worries that they just don’t know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the
    whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

184. Pingback: Monday Madness
  185. alaskansonya says:

Reblogged this on Alaskan Foodie and commented:
    This recipe sounds really delicious! I cannot wait to try this with many of my recipes! I bet you could make a great chocolate mousse with this! 🙂 Ooooh and I just thought of an idea…Coconut Ice Cream using this with blackberries! Oh yum! The ideas are endless! This would be great as an after dinner dessert here in Alaska! Or you could top your coffee or cocoa with some of the cream.

186. Faith says:

I used the same exact organic coconut milk. Mine did not harden after a few days in the fridge. What does this mean?

1. Gabriella says:

I bought some Thai milk lately that was as hard as a rock.I was amazed cause it never happened before.

187. Robyn says:

I used the exact same can and refrigerated over night and there was a tiny bit of cream at the top and it wasn’t thick like your picture and this is my third time trying it! What gives?!

188. Leigh ANne says:

I made coconut whipped cream this morning and it was GREAT. I wish I had some vanilla would have made it better but it was AWESOME and my girls loved it. I was wondering it you can take the same cream and churn it into butter? I know you can do it with dairy (cow) cream but have not been able to find it on the internet. Everything is Coconut butter (whipped coconut flakes) Not the same thing in my opinion. I will be trying this in the next few days!

189. Jessica says:

How long does the cream last after whipping?

1. Hi Jessica, not too long, to have it perfect a day or two the most. Enjoy. NK

190. alphagalgirl says:

Reblogged this on The Alpha Gal Allergy Cooking and commented:
    This icing is so delicious, I can’t wait to make it again!!

191. Christina says:

Just a thought about the coconut water that is left in the can…..it is great moisturizer for your hair!

1. Excellent! thanks…- NK

192. Stephanie says:

I tried this for Thanksgiving with Paleo Pumpkin Pie, and it was delicious. Everyone was very impressed by it, and couldn’t even tell it was made with Coconut Milk!

1. Thank you Stephanie! I so happy that this turned out great for you. Best! Jo

193. val says:

I have a can of coconut milk and never tried it but I’m going to try this today.

1. Let us know how is goes! NK

194. Cindu says:

I’ve tried this twice once with the thai brand and again with the goya brand, both full fat. Results a tbs of whip w the thai and nothing with the goya. Decided to make coconut ice cubes with the goya can. Fridge is set on 38. What is wrong? Help…im missing out on this wonderful cream. That one tbs was a teaser. 😦

195. Gris says:

good idea but, canned coconut milk? processed milk is not good

196. Hi,I’m from Australia so all these brands & half & half are all foreign to me,but we do have lierally dozens of brands of coconut cream.I’m lactose intollerant & can only use lactose free milk,cream,cheese & yoghurts.The cream can’t be whipped or used to make ice cream.I’m so looking foward to trying this,thankyou so much

197. Jaclyn says:

I came across this post and instantly wanted to try it. So I bought the Thai Kitchen unsweetened coconut milk and the next day when I opened it, it had not separated. I left the can over night in the frig so I’m not to sure what I did wrong?

198. Abby says:

HI,
    Can you do this with Coconut Cream ?
    are coconut milk and coconut cream the same thing ?
    I’d really like to use this for the holiday desserts
    Thanks

199. Bardzo atrakcyjny wpis, polecam ludziom Botoks

200. Peggy C. says:

This may have been answered already but I followed the directions & it never whipped. It looked like small curds. Any idea what I did wrong?

201. Rosie Brioso says:

Looks so yummy! Can’t wait to try this.

202. Anna Sontag says:

the extra thick from Trader Joes worked great for using Josh Axe’s recipe for coffee creamer — with melted coconut oil, honey, and vanilla. I used it straight off my cupboard shelf and it was super thick . I blended it with a hand frother right in the wide mouth jar I planned to store it in. I imagine without the coconut oil it would be like whipped topping. Yummmmy!

203. Julie Woodgate says:

I can’t wait buy a can and whip it up! Thanks for Sharing.

204. momzom1 says:

Looks good, how long does it hold the whipped appearance? Does this separate out?
    Does it last for a a day or a week or somewhere in between?
    I would love to try it!
    momzom1

205. Ale says:

I am trying this many times l don’t get the results like l see in this post. Its frustrated l am following. Step by step. Please. Suggests.

206. Leila says:

I am sad to say this did not work for me at all. I had a can of the Thai kitchen brand on hand. I scooped the cream off the top and added a tiny bit of vanilla, cinnamon and half a teaspoon of coconut sugar for just a little sweetness. I don’t know if the sugar is what caused the problem since it is rather course but no matter how much mixing I did it never became creamy. It was like curtled milk and after a while any last bit of moisture started separating from the cream. I’m afraid to try again since I wasted a can.

207. Margaret says:

By any chance do you know the carb count

208. Debbie says:

Have you ever tried adding powdered sugar to see if it makes a frosting?

209. Nicole Alessi says:

After this whipped cream is made, how long will it last in the fridge?

210. monica says:

will this whipped coconut cream, work as a substitute for the two cups of whipped heavy whipping cream called for in the no machine icecream recipe where you mix flavorings or add ins into a can of condensed milk, then fold that into the whipped cream & freeze?

1. That is a good question, we have not yet tried it for Ice cream. NK

211. Maree says:

Can you use coconut cream instead

1. It will not turn out the same. NK

212. Lori says:

On many cans or cartons of coconut milk, the % of coconut is often listed. Not sure about the States, but in Canada at Walmart they were carrying Savoy Coconut Cream in a can. As well, our Superstore grocery store carries a black 1 L carton of coconut milk…’Real Thai’ – 85% coconut (& water; only these two ingredients so clean). Superstore also carries an aerosol can of coconut whip cream, a great gluten and dairy free option that is so yummy.

213. Janice says:

This sounds delightful, how long will it stay good in refrigerator after whipped up?

214. Emie says:

I think you should add caster sugar to taste😉

215. Dawn says:

Use a different form of coconut for this candy alternative recipe:
    I buy at Winn Dixie, the Grace brand coconut cream (this has fine bits of coconut and smooth and creamy coconut cream sealed in a bag in a red box) or I use any virgin coconut oil. Add some Stevia or agave to sweeten to taste. I spread it in a thin 4 X 8″ pan lined with wax paper or saran. I add dried cranberries and dried blueberries and nuts or tiny chocolate chips. Push them under the coconut cream or oil. Pop it in the freezer. When it is solid break or cut in squares. Store in a zip bag and keep in the freezer. It melts in your hand so store in the refrigerator or freezer. This is a yummy healthier Candy alternative. Dawn

216. Katie says:

I left 2 cans of coconut milk (14 grams of fat each) in the fridge overnight, but they did not separate. I researched why the separation didn’t happen and found that coconut milk with emulsifiers or preservatives will not separate. So I’m wondering how you got yours to separate, since it looks like you’re using Thai Kitchen brand, which has guar gum as a stabilizer? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks 🙂

217. Can the whipped cream be saved after it pulled from the can,whipped and the vanilla is added? I can’t use all of it (it’s only me eating or should I say loving it) and would like to use it for the next days coffee? Great find by the way!

1. Hello, It doesn’t keep nicely whipped for too long, couple of days. You can add vanilla – ground not concentrated otherwise you’ll lose your consistency.
      Enjoy! NK