As promised, we are sharing some tasty ways to prepare wonderful Okra. Most people don’t care for it all that much because it can get a bit slimy…I happen to love Okra in every way, slimy or not.
This dish is brought to you by Henry, who wanted to be the first in the line up of demystifying Okra.
Here is what you’ll need for his delicious creation:
- 3 Tbsp Fat of Choice (Grass Fed Butter, Coconut Oil, Tallow, Ghee)
- 4 Stalks Green Onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Anaheim Peppers
- 4 Serrano Pepper or more depending on desired heat (we like our with some heat)
- 2 Tsp Chopped Ginger
- Note: we combine ginger and peppers and finely chop them in our mini food processor
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Black Pepper and Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to taste
- 1 Lb Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 1 Oz Cooked Pork Belly
- 1 Lb Okra
And here’s how Chef Henry made it:
Dice and Soak Okra in a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and water for about 30 minutes to reduce natural sliminess of Okra – BE SURE to rinse with water well after soaking
Now place Fat and Green Onions in large pan or wok, once onion starts browning add garlic, spices, peppers,and pork belly and cook for about 5 minutes on medium – high heat. Add Ground Beef and cook for another 5 minutes making sure all ingredients are well combined. Now add Okra and mix well, and cook for 5 minutes, cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook for additional 15 minutes or until Okra is at desired tenderness (Soft but not mushy). It is best if served with a side of fresh lime to squeeze onto dish at table side. We served it with oven baked Asparagus.
Enjoy – there is more to come in the Okra series.