Ladies and Gents: this is such an easy and ultra delicious dish that one of our dear friends shared with us while visiting…it is a must try.
LGL told us that he learned this dish while traveling around New Zealand’s South Island coastline. According to him, locals boasted a vast array of healthy and delicious recipes for their beautiful and abundant hand-sized mussels, fresh out of the ocean.
Living in Arizona we must make do with mussels from a good store, but in this case frozen. However, they still tasted amazing with this great preparation.
Serves 4 – 6 for appetizers…or 2 -3 Svendblads. 🙂
Ingredients for this tasty dish:
- 3 – 6 lbs of mussels, as closed as possible
- 3 – 4 strips of bacon (nitrate free, of course) cut into fingernail size pieces
- fresh ground black pepper to taste – coarse ground
- 1 gluten-free beer, ice cold – we use Redbridge
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
How to make it:
- obviously wash your mussels and drain till virtually dry
- heat up a large wok or stir fry pan, add bacon and stir until it gets glossy and a bit crunchy
- now add mussels and stir for a few minutes with a wooden spoon
- add 1/2 bottle of cold gluten-free beer, add black pepper, remove from heat and add cilantro;
- serve immediately with ice-cold gluten-free beer or a glass of white wine
- we served this with some tasty Taro chips
Looking forward to hearing what you think!
Thanks LGL – we miss you!
Jo, Henry and Tiger