It has been a while since we’ve posted a dessert. Today we would like to share one of my mom’s fabulous recipes that I have enjoyed for years. We have of course modified it, as we do not use mounds of sugar as usual traditional European recipes call for.
This dessert is very easy to make, totally gluten-free, grain-free, and organic. What is not to love?
Ingredients that you will need for the bottom:
- 6 eggs (we prefer cage-free)
- 160 grams of blanched almond flour
- 2 tbsp raw local unfiltered honey
- 1 tbsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp homemade (preferable no-sugar) blueberry jam (we make ours without sugar and with a splash of lime juice); it is key to use an organic slightly tart spread
- 2 1/2 bananas sliced
- 200 grams of dark cooking chocolate (we prefer 75% or 85%)
- 1/8 cup heavy cream (you may need to add a few drops if you feel that the chocolate is too thick)
Here’s how you make them: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Instructions for the bottom: Separate egg whites and yolks. Beat egg whites with a hand-blender until they are totally stiff and set aside. Then mix egg yolks with honey and vanilla and beat until as frothy as possible, this usually takes a few minutes. Add blanched almond flour and mix gently on low until all ingredients have properly blended. Now gently fold in the egg yolks with a rubber cake spatula until it becomes a beautiful light fluffy mixture and pour into a non-stick rectangular 13 x 9 x 2 cake pan and bake for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. The best way to check to see if it’s done is to see if it has a beautiful golden color and if prodded with a steel kabob, nothing sticks then you are all set. Turn off the oven and let it sit for a minute and remove from the oven. Let it cool for 10 – 15 minutes and gently spread it with your favorite jam. Add sliced bananas and begin to prepare your chocolate cover.
Chocolate cover: Heat cream in a small saucepan on medium high, add chocolate ribs and stir constantly, reduce heat to medium. Once all chocolate has melted and no lumps remain, gently pour onto cake in sections using a spatula to disseminate all the chocolate.
Refrigerate it for 30 minutes and serve either cold or warm. It is delicious either way. This one is for you Janine! 🙂